What Is Hydrotherapy?
Physical issues are relatively straightforward, but the lack of exercise, whether due to injury or the advancement of years, also has an effect on the mental health of the dog. Any animal / mammal, including man, feels exhilarated through the practise of exercise, especially vigorous exercise.
Hydrotherapy in conjunction with veterinary treatment can significantly improve the quality and rate of healing following surgery or traumatic injury. After surgery the careful use of canine hydrotherapy can help with rehabilitation and increase the chance of a successful return to full fitness. Enhancing general health and fitness can aid convalescence and speed up recovery..
CONDITIONS THAT BENEFIT FROM HYDROTHERAPY
- Pre and post-operative conditioning
- Osteoarthritis – reduced pain and increased mobility
- Hip and elbow dysplasia – especially useful for young dogs who are restricted to lead exercise
- DM – degenerative myelopathy
- Spinal injuries
- Recovering from injuries – including fracture, soft tissue and neurological damage
- Cranial cruciate ligament injuries and post – operative recovery
- Muscle strengthening maintenance and restoration
- Relief of pain, swelling and stiffness
- Relaxation of muscle spasms
- Cardiovascular fitness (heart and lungs)
- Obesity (weight loss in conjunction with diet)
- Mental well being
HYDROTHERAPY HELPS BY:
- Relief of pain, swelling & stiffness
- Muscle strengthening, maintenance and restoration
- Alleviating muscle spasm, promoting relaxation.
- Increased range of motion in joints
- Improved circulation
- Cardiovascular fitness (heart & lungs)
- Increased tissue healing
- Increased speed of recovery